It’s official! I have completed my capstone project and the Udacity VR Developer Nanodegree! Overall, I am pleased with the results. I feel like I have learned a great deal. The project did not live up to my internal vision. This is not surprising. As my husband says, I always want to start with a “master crafted” project. In this case I had hoped to be able to create a more beautiful environment with good bloom effects and really evoke a sense of peaceful serenity. What I got instead were graphics reminiscent of MMORPGs several iterations back. Some of this is due to limitations of the VR system. Having to maintain 90 frames per second, puts quite a bit of pressure on computation and Unity’s built-in terrain and vegetation system is not as light as it could be.
Before finishing up this as a finished game, I’d like to see if I can optimize the resources some in order to create a richer visual environment.